Written by Super User
Category: More about NARP
NARP members are entitled to a 10% discount on the most Amtrak rail fares, subject to the following conditions—
- Reservation must be made or altered at least 3 days in advance of the departure day of each trip segment. For example, if the departure time is 11:00 PM on a Friday, discounted reservations may be made until 12:00 midnight Wednesday (i.e. Tuesday night).
- Applies only to the “rail fare.” Does not apply to additional “accommodation charges” for sleeping car, First class, and Business class (except weekend Acela Express).
- On Auto Train, good only for the passenger rail fare (not the vehicle charge or sleeper accommodation charge).
- The discount is not valid on weekday Acela Express service. It is valid for Business Class tickets on weekend Acela Express trains.
- The discount is valid on Amtrak’s Northeast Regional service between Newport News/Richmond, Washington, Philadelphia, New York and Boston/Springfield every day, but often cannot be applied to the lowest available fare ($49.00 one-way from Washington to New York, for example), which is considered a “special” fare. For Northeast Regional reservations, be sure to check the resulting fare after applying the discount to make sure it is not higher than the advertised base fare.
- The NARP discount cannot be combined with most other discount programs (such as AAA, seniors, active-duty military, Student Advantage, Veterans’ Advantage, ten-trip or monthly passes, or USA Rail Pass).
- The NARP discount cannot be combined with any special or promotional fare or promotion code (including the lowest Northeast Regional fares discussed above).
- The NARP discount cannot be used on Canadian portion of the New York-Toronto Maple Leaf, which is operated by VIA Rail Canada between Niagara Falls, ON and Toronto, nor on some Thruway bus routes.
- NARP members should identify themselves as such when booking a ticket, and must carry a current, valid NARP membership card when paying for tickets in person and while traveling. Each passenger must be in the possession of and present upon request a valid membership card with his or her name on it.
- If you do not have a current membership card, click here to request one. If you are traveling soon, NARP can send you an email confirmation of membership that you can print at home and display in lieu of a card.